Joseph Mack Maples
Maples, circa 1999
- Missing Since 08/11/1999
- Missing From Birmingham, Alabama
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Date of Birth 04/27/1953 (70)
- Age 46 years old
- Height and Weight 6'0, 175 pounds
- Medical Conditions Maples may require medical attention. He may suffer from heart problems.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, blue eyes. Maples's nickname is Joe. He has had previous surgery on his shoulder, possibly on the rotator cuff.
Details of Disappearance
Maples was last seen in Birmingham, Alabama on August 11, 1999. Before his disappearance, he told the local Humane Society that he had to leave the area and wanted to give them all his possessions and his two dogs. He apparently boarded a plane flight to Dallas, Texas, leaving his vehicle behind at the Birmingham airport. He has never been heard from again.
The circumstances surrounding Maples's disappearance are unclear. His father died when Maples was very young, and his mother and sister had also died prior to his disappearance. He had stated that Birmingham had unhappy associations for him due to his deceased family, and some of his loved ones feel he left of his own accord because of this.
However, Maples's extended family stated it is uncharacteristic of him to be out of touch with them for so long. He was unmarried and worked in real estate at the time of his 1999 disappearance. His case remains unsolved.
- Birmingham Police Department 205-933-4113
Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated November 6, 2008; medical conditions added, distinguishing characteristics updated.