Shimkus, circa 1972
- Missing Since 12/20/1972
- Missing From Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Age 54 years old
- Height and Weight 5'7, 180 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A black trench coat, black shoes and a green and white scarf.
- Medical Conditions Shimkus suffered from depression after her husband's 1965 death, but her family does not believe she was depressed at the time of her disappearance.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Shimuks wears eyeglasses with dark-colored frames.
Details of Disappearance
Shimkus was last seen in the Esplen section of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on December 20, 1972. She left her house in the 200 block of Oregon Street at 5:00 p.m. to walk to work.
Shimkus was employed as a cook at the Rockwood Lounge in the McKees Rocks Shopping Plaza at the time. She has never been heard from again. She did not take any personal belongings with her.
The new owner found bone fragments in the crawl space of Shimkus's former home in 1995, but they turned out to be from an animal.
Shimkus's husband died of cancer in 1965. In 1972, Shimkus lived with her daughter. Her adult son was married and lived elsewhere in Pittsburgh. Shimkus was on good terms with both of her children at the time of her disappearance and was considering marrying her boyfriend.
There are some indications that Shimkus remained alive for an extended period of time after she went missing, but there have been no confirmed sightings of her since 1972. Her case remains unsolved.
- Pittsburgh Police Department 412-665-4020
Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated March 9, 2016; height, weight and clothing/jewelry description added, distinguishing characteristics updated.