Kai Aslak Smaaland
Smaaland, circa 1997
- Missing Since 05/03/1997
- Missing From Miami, Florida
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Date of Birth 07/14/1974 (48)
- Age 22 years old
- Height and Weight 6'0 - 6'2, 187 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A cruise ship employee uniform consisting of a white button-down shirt, white shorts and white shoes.
- Medical Conditions Smaaland has an unspecified behavior disorder.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Blond hair, blue eyes. Smaaland is a Norwegian citizen. Some agencies spell his last name "Smaland."
Details of Disappearance
Smaaland was employed as an electrician on the cruise ship the S.S. Norway in 1997. He was last seen aboard the ship at approximately 12:30 a.m. on May 3, 1997 while the ship was in port at piers 1 and 2 in Miami, Florida.
He has never been heard from again. His wallet, passport, and identification tag were located inside his cabin on the ship. An extensive search of the ship located no other evidence.
Smaaland's former girlfriend was aboard the S.S. Norway at the time of his disappearance. According to his family members, the couple ended their relationship on good terms. Some investigators have theorized that Smaaland took his own life aboard the boat and drowned in the Atlantic Ocean, while others claim foul play may have been involved.
There is little evidence to suggest what happened to Smaaland. He was scheduled to take a vacation from his job shortly after he vanished. His case remains unsolved.
- Miami Police Department
Updated 3 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated February 10, 2019; picture added, clothing/jewelry description and details of disappearance updated.