Karen Denise Steed
Karen, circa 1997
- Missing Since 11/25/1997
- Missing From Piedmont, Alabama
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Date of Birth 09/08/1968 (54)
- Age 29 years old
- Height and Weight 5'7, 120 pounds
- Associated Vehicle(s) Beige 1982 Ford Fairmont with Alabama license plate number 11DW289 (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, green/blue eyes. Some agencies spell Karen's name "Karren." Her ears are pierced.
Details of Disappearance
Karen was last seen in her Piedmont, Alabama residence on November 25, 1997. On December 18, three weeks after her disappearance, her beige 1982 Ford Fairmont with Alabama license plate number 11DW289, was found abandoned on Interstate 20 in Cleburne County, close to Heflin, Alabama. There was no signs of foul play at the scene. She has never been heard from again.
Karen was employed as a certified nursing assistant at the time of her disappearance. Her husband, Jimmy Steed, stated she was not behaving unusually prior to going missing. She left behind a young daughter.
In December 2014, Jimmy pleaded guilty to the murder of another woman. He was sentenced to 105 years in prison and will almost certainly never be released. Authorities have stated Jimmy is a suspect in his wife's disappearance and in the disappearances of James "Patrick" Burrows and Jeffery McFry, who went missing within two weeks of each other in 1990. Both men were involved in drug activity.
David Ronald Chandler was convicted of ordering Burrows and McFry's murders, but authorities believe Jimmy Steed was involved as well. He hasn't been charged in connection with any of the three disappearances, and Karen's case remains unsolved.
- Calhoun County Sheriff's Office 256-236-6600
Updated 3 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated March 6, 2015; details of disappearance updated.