Karen Rae Bosta
Bosta, circa 2015; Thomas White Sr.
- Missing Since 05/31/2015
- Missing From Edenton, North Carolina
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Date of Birth 12/20/1975 (47)
- Age 39 years old
- Height and Weight 5'2 - 5'3, 140 - 150 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A white t-shirt, white shorts and gray slip-on Skechers shoes. Carrying a pink quilted fabric pocketbook with a paisley print and her car keys attached on a hook holder with a butterfly.
- Medical Conditions Bosta was taking medication at the time of her disappearance; the medicine has severe side effects if she suddenly stops taking it.
- Associated Vehicle(s) Red 1997 Lincoln Continental (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, blue eyes. Bosta has a tattoo of a butterfly on her lower back just above her buttocks, and a tattoo of a small red strawberry on her upper back between her shoulder blades.
Details of Disappearance
Bosta was last seen leaving a Food Lion store at north Broad Street and Coke Avenue in Edenton, North Carolina on May 31, 2015. She went out with friends and never arrived back home. About a week later, her red 1997 Lincoln Continental was found parked in the back lot outside a shopping center at Gaslight Square in Edenton; the doors were locked and the keys were missing.
Thomas Edward White Sr. is a person of interest in Bosta's disappearance. The day after she went missing, he used a Discover credit card Bosta had had with her on the night of her disappearance; he bought cigarettes at a Food Lion store in Edenton. He was charged with obtaining property by false pretense and attempting to obtain property by false pretense. A photo of him is posted with this case summary.
In January 2018, White pleaded guilty to obtaining property by false pretense. He was ordered to pay $600 in restitution and spend six weekends in jail and 36 months on probation and parole. Because of the circumstances, authorities are looking into the possibility that White was involved in Bosta's disappearance.
Foul play is suspected in Bosta's case, as her disappearance is uncharacteristic of her behavior. Her case remains unsolved.
- Perquimans County Sheriff's Office
- Edenton Police Department
- North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation
Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated January 14, 2019; details of disappearance updated.