Karl Terry Karbowski
Karbowski, circa 2002
- Missing Since 08/03/2002
- Missing From Houston, Texas
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Date of Birth 02/23/1939 (84)
- Age 63 years old
- Height and Weight 5'7 - 5'9, 145 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A burgundy shirt, blue jeans and dark-colored canvas slip-on shoes.
- Associated Vehicle(s) Ford F-250 (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Graying brown hair, blue eyes. Karbowski wears eyeglasses and is balding. He may be known by his middle name, Terry.
Details of Disappearance
Karl was last seen at his office in the Reeveston area of Houston, Texas. He was reported missing by his employees on August 5 when he didn't show up for work. He owned a fence company in Reeveston.
On August 12, nine days after his disappearance, Karl's Ford F-250 was found abandoned at the corner of Wayside and Interstate 10 in Houston. There was no sign of him at the scene and there were indications that a struggle had taken place.
On November 18, four months after Karl's disappearance, his estranged wife, Mariela Quinonez Karbowski, was charged in his murder. Mariela went to the police and confessed to the crime. She claimed Karl visited her on the day of his disappearance and she beat him to death with a two-slice toaster. Then she dumped the body, the toaster, and a gun into the Trinity River.
The river is close to the River Bend Tavern, a bar near the Interstate 90 bridge which is owned by Karl and managed by his son. Police uncovered unspecified DNA evidence to support Mariela's confession, but the charges against her were eventually dropped for lack of evidence.
Karl remains missing. He owned the Oasis Tavern in Liberty, Texas in addition to the River Bend Tavern. Foul play is suspected in his case due to the circumstances involved.
- Harris County Sheriff's Department 713-967-5810
Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated October 24, 2010; details of disappearance updated.