Kathryn Louise Adam
Adam, circa 1993; Adam's van
- Missing Since 04/29/1993
- Missing From Salina, Kansas
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Date of Birth 02/06/1958 (65)
- Age 35 years old
- Height and Weight 5'4, 120 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A light-colored shirt, dark-colored slacks, and a blue and white Kansas City Royals jacket.
- Associated Vehicle(s) White full-sized Ford van with "She has Legg's" written on the sides in blue lettering (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Adam wears eyeglasses. Her maiden name is Swendson and she may use the last name Swendson-Adam. She has pierced ears, as well as a freckled complexion and dimples in her cheeks. Adam scars on her knee, left shoulder, back and right finger, and moles on her breast, neck, left ear and left cheek.
Details of Disappearance
Adam was last seen at 4:30 a.m. on April 29, 1993, at the Kwik Shop convenience store in the 1700 block of west Crawford Street in Salina, Kansas. She drove a white full-sized Ford van with "She has Legg's" written on the sides in blue lettering. A photo of it is posted with this case summary.
The van turned up abandoned at 5:45 p.m. the day after Adam's disappearance, at Russell's Restaurant in the 600 block of Westport Boulevard. The restaurant was closed for remodeling at the time. The van was spattered with mud on the outside and bloodsoaked on the inside, and it had reportedly been driven 60 miles that couldn't be accounted for.
A large amount of blood and some bullet fragments were also found at a storage unit in west Salina, along with indications that someone had tried to clean up. This was where Adam, a salesperson for the Legg's hosiery company, picked up stock each day. There was no sign of her and she has never been heard from again. Authorities stated there was enough blood to indicate probable fatality.
Authorities speculate someone attacked Adam when she went inside the storage unit. It appeared they interrupted her in the process of loading the merchandise in her van, leaving the door of the unit open. Investigators believe whoever was responsible for Adam's disappearance knew her and her routine.
Adam was separated from her husband at the time of her disappearance and in the process of a divorce. Her teenage daughter reported her missing. Her case remains unsolved and foul play is suspected.
- Salina Police Department 785-826-7210
Updated 5 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated May 15, 2019; distinguishing characteristics updated.