Kevin Jay Ayotte
Kevin, circa 1982; Age-progression to age 36 (circa 2015)
- Missing Since 09/30/1982
- Missing From Sugarbush, Minnesota
- Classification Non-Family Abduction
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Date of Birth 05/12/1979 (43)
- Age 3 years old
- Height and Weight 4'0, 50 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A checkered shirt, blue jeans, lace-up sneakers and a disposable diaper.
- Medical Conditions Kevin is developmentally disabled and has a hearing impairment; as a result, he had limited speech skills at the time of his disappearance.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Blond hair, blue eyes. Kevin has a scar on the right side of his chin. He also has a cleft chin.
Details of Disappearance
Kevin was last seen playing in the upstairs of his family's summer home in Sugarbush, Minnesota at 4:45 p.m. on September 30, 1982. His mother went outside briefly; when she returned, Kevin had vanished. His dog, a six-month-old Springer Spaniel puppy named Flash, disappeared also, but his older brother was still inside the house.
Kevin had wandered away from his home before, but he always returned after a short time. An extensive nine-day search turned up no sign of him, not even his shoes or his diaper, both of which he had a habit of discarding.
Flash, however, reappeared on October 5. In hopes of discovering clues as to Kevin's whereabouts, its coat was combed carefully and a veterinarian pumped its stomach; they found no evidence that Flash had eaten anything in days, other than swamp grass. Police put a tracking collar on the dog and let it go again, hoping it would lead them to Kevin, but it just kept returning home.
The countryside around Kevin's home is woodsy and boggy, and some people feel that the child became lost in the area and died of exposure. Due to the lack of evidence in his case, however, it is classified as a non-family abduction.
- Beltrami County Sheriff's Office 218-751-9111
Updated 6 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated January 27, 2017; details of disappearance updated.