Kristy Jean Rogers
Kristy, circa 1997; Age-progression to age 35 (circa 2015)
- Missing Since 08/02/1997
- Missing From Crestview, Florida
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Date of Birth 08/23/1980 (42)
- Age 16 years old
- Height and Weight 5'3, 109 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A dark-colored t-shirt and and white shorts, or a white cut-off t-shirt, blue jeans, a friendship necklace and several rings.
- Medical Conditions Kristy was suffering from a kidney infection at the time of her disappearance and was supposed to be taking medication for it. She left her medicine behind.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown to sandy-blonde hair, blue eyes. Kristy has a lazy right eye. Her navel is pierced and she has pierced ears. Her wisdom teeth have been removed.
Details of Disappearance
Kristy told her family she was spending the night of August 1, 1997 at a girlfriend's home in Crestview, Florida. She stayed at her boyfriend's instead. This was the first time she had spent the night with him.
Her boyfriend, Mack Cawthon, told authorities Kristy departed his house on north Lloyd Street at approximately 5:00 a.m. on August 2. He asked her to leave early so his grandparents, who lived next door, would not know she had stayed there. Cawthon's residence was located less than one mile from Kristy's family's Walnut Avenue house, about a fifteen-minute walk. She never arrived home and has never been heard from again.
In February 1998, six months after Kristy's disappearance, a bag containing clothing belonging to her was found in a wooded area behind the Crestview Plaza Shopping Center. The area had already been thoroughly searched by investigators and cadaver dogs; they believe, therefore, that the bag was left there after the search.
The contents included a shirt, shorties, underpants, a bra, socks, keys, and makeup, all belonging to Kristy. The bag was not hidden and the clothes inside appeared to be more weathered than the bag.
Unidentified female remains were located in a canal west of Boynton Beach, Florida in 1999, two years after Kristy vanished. Authorities incorrectly identified the body as Kristy in January 2001. Her loved ones finalized funeral arrangements by the time the mistake was corrected, but the burial had not taken place. Investigators initially believed that Kristy's dental records matched the victim. The error was reported less than one week after the incorrect identification was announced.
Police originally believed Kristy was a runaway, but later decided she met with foul play due to the long period of time that passed where she didn't contact anyone. At first they investigated her family, who have all since been ruled out as suspects.
Cawthon has not been named as a suspect either, and investigators stated there were no inconsistencies in his story. They described his relationship with Kristy as "on-again, off-again." She was not having any problems at the time of her disappearance and she left behind all her belongings, including her kidney medication.
Authorities believe Kristy was abducted by someone she knew. Her mother describes her as a naive, trusting individual. Her mother now lives in Alabama, but continues to hope for resolution in her daughter's disappearance. Her case remains unsolved.
- Crestview Police Department 850-682-2055
Updated 7 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated September 28, 2020; picture added, distinguishing characteristics updated.