Kyon Jones

Kyon, circa 2021; Ladonia Boggs; Carl Jones

  • Missing Since 05/05/2021
  • Missing From Washington D.C., Washington D.C.
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race Black
  • Age 2 months old
  • Height and Weight Unknown
  • Distinguishing Characteristics African-American male. Brown hair, brown eyes.

Details of Disappearance

Kyon was last seen at his home in the 1500 block of Benning Road Northeast in Washington D.C. sometime in early May 2021. He lived in the apartment with his mother, Ladonia Patrice Boggs, and others. His father, Carl Bernard Jones, lived elsewhere but did occasionally stay with Ladonia and Kyon at that apartment.

On May 4, Ladonia contacted Carl and told him to come pick up the baby and pack "all his stuff." Carl refused to do any of that. The next day, Ladonia called Carl again and said workers with the District's Child and Family Services Agency (CFSA) had taken the baby and that he would be gone "for a long time." Carl could hear one of the other children in the home talking in the background; the child backed up Ladonia's story.

Carl reached out to CFSA to ask for information about his son, only to learn that they did not have Kyon. He then called a child abuse hotline to report his son's disappearance and concerns about Ladonia's drug use.

On May 6, the police were sent to Ladonia's home to do a welfare check. She told them Kyon did not live at this address and that no small children did, so they left. At least eight people lived at the apartment, five of them children. On May 7, a CFSA worker visited Ladonia and she told them that CFSA had taken the baby.

The other children in the home were intervewed and said their mother had told them the same thing. When the worker asked about her drug use, Ladonia said she was not under the influence of anything and had been substance-free for a year. CFSA then called the police to report Kyon as a missing person.

At first, when questioned by police, Ladonia repeated her statement about CFSA taking Kyon. She said the worker who took him was a woman and she had also taken his car seat, clothes and baby formula, driving away in a blue Toyota.

Ladonia remembered the CFSA worker's name was Wendy Davis, which was also the name of a relative of Kyon's father's. She gave inconsistent answers as to what time Kyon's removal had occurred, first saying it was during the nighttime and then claiming it happened in the day.

She also was inconsistent as to why the removal had happened. Once she said the worker cited anonymous complaints of drug abuse and neglect in the home as a reason to remove the baby, and another time she said Carl had told Wendy Davis to take Kyon. Police asked her for Carl's contact information and Ladonia at first claimed she didn't have his phone number and that they hadn't spoken in a month. She did eventually provide the number, however.

Ladonia then told a second story, saying she had given Kyon away to a different woman because she felt unable to cope with caring for him. She said the woman who took Kyon was her godmother, but when police asked for the godmother's contact information and texts, Ladonia said she had deleted them from her phone. The police were later able to get in touch with the alleged godmother, who was in fact the paternal grandmother of one of Ladonia's other children. She said she didn't have the baby.

Ladonia later admitted she had known all along that this woman did not have Kyon. She told a third story and said she'd given Kyon to a friend who lived on Good Hope Road. She provided a name for the friend, but police were unable to locate anyone living on Good Hope Road who had that name, and Ladonia said she didn't have a phone number.

On May 14, Ladonia was arrested on suspicion of felony murder and evidence tampering. She had told multiple people, including a television news station, police and a local missing persons activist, that Kyon was dead.

She said she had gone to sleep in a bed with him and when she woke up she discovered she'd rolled on top of him and he was unresponsive, not breathing and apparently dead. She panicked, so rather than call 911 or take the baby to a hospital she disposed of the baby's body in a dumpster. She admitted she was hallucinating under the influence of the drug PCP at the time. After Kyon's death, she gave all of his clothes to a neighbor who had an infant about the same age.

Surveillance video at Ladonia's apartment on Benning Road Northeast showed her carrying to the dumpster a car seat, a plastic bag and a cardboard box big enough to hold Kyon, which is consistent with her story. When questioned, Carl said that although he had noticed Ladonia's drug abuse problem had been worsening, he had never seen her physically abuse her children.

After spending the night in jail, Ladonia was released into Pretrial Services without having to pay bail. One of the conditions of her release was that she have no contact with children, including her own children and her grandchild, without another adult being present. She was facing a charge of evidence tampering only, as there was not enough evidence to support a charge of murder.

In April 2022, while the evidence tampering charge was still pending against her, Ladonia was found stabbed to death inside an apartment in the same complex where Kyon was last seen. She was 39 years old. Carl was arrested and charged with second-degree murder while armed in connection with Ladonia's death. Photos of both of them are posted with this case summary.

According to police, Carl admitted he and Ladonia still occasionally smoked PCP together. When he was asked if he had killed her he replied, "If I did, would I be wrong for doing that?" He subsequently admitted they'd gotten into an argument about Kyon's death and he stabbed her in the abdomen.

In December 2022, he pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter in Ladonia's death and was sentenced to nine years in prison. The judge, who believed Kyon's death was the "root cause" of Carl's violent behavior, ordered him to undergo counseling while in prison.

Investigators believe Kyon's body was taken to a landfill in Charles City County, Virginia, outside Richmond, but searches of the landfill have turned up no sign of him.

Investigating Agency

  • Washington D.C. Metropolitan Police Department 202-727-9099

Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated July 18, 2023; details of disappearance updated.