Palmer, circa 2018
- Missing Since 04/20/2018
- Missing From Fall River Mills, California
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Date of Birth 04/09/1947 (76)
- Age 71 years old
- Height and Weight 5'2, 138 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A t-shirt, blue jeans, sneakers and earrings.
- Medical Conditions According to loved ones, Palmer was exhibiting early signs of dementia at the time of her disappearance.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Palmer's ears are pierced, she has an appendectomy scar on her abdomen and she may wear eyeglasses. Her nickname is Lyn, and she may spell her name "Layralyn" or use her maiden name, Crotwell, or the last name Story. Her hair was shoulder-length at the time of her disappearance. She wears eyeglasses with thick lenses.
Details of Disappearance
Palmer was last seen in Fall River Mills, California at 4:30 p.m. on April 20, 2018. She took an unleashed dog for a walk in the woods southeast of her home, which was in the 23000 block of Cassel Fall River Road. She left all her belongings behind, including her phone, wallet and purse, but may have been carrying a can of lite beer and may have had had her eyeglasses.
Palmer was expected to be gone about fifteen minutes, but she never returned and has never been heard from again. Her husband of twenty years began looking for her after twenty-five minutes, started calling the neighbors after forty-five minutes to ask if they'd seen her, and notified the police after two hours.
The dog is described as a gray, black and white female Australian Cattle Dog (also known as a Blue Heeler) named Lucy. Lucy was Palmer's stepdaughter's dog. Palmer's stepdaughter lived twenty miles away, and Palmer and her husband were taking care of the dog for a few days.
Lucy returned, uninjured and in good health but alone, four days after Palmer's disappearance. When offered food and water, the dog drank but didn't eat, suggesting that she had been fed while she was away.
A month after Palmer's disappearance, investigators stated she was missing under suspicious circumstances. She is a retired nurse who had worked at the local hospital and hospice, and is described as a very social, active person who volunteered at a thrift store and regularly went bowling with friends. Her case remains unsolved.
- Shasta County Sheriff's Department 530-245-6025
Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated December 6, 2019; six pictures added, distinguishing characteristics and details of disappearance updated.