Burgess, circa 1994
- Missing Since 04/22/1994
- Missing From Cocoa, Florida
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Male
- Race Black
- Date of Birth 12/09/1916 (106)
- Age 77 years old
- Height and Weight 5'11, 150 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A blue shirt and dark-colored pants.
- Medical Conditions Burgess was in the early stages of Alzheimer's Disease at the time of his disappearance. He was not taking any medication, however.
- Distinguishing Characteristics African-American male. White hair, brown eyes. Burgess is bald. He has a scar on his left cheek.
Details of Disappearance
Burgess was last seen at his residence in the 3600 block of Shelly Court in Cocoa, Florida at 11:00 a.m. on April 22, 1994. Due to his Alzheimer's Disease, he had a history of wandering away from home and forgetting how to get back; police and neighbors had picked him up several times. He was never seen or heard from again.
Another elderly person in Cocoa, Mary Zedalis, disappeared in the same month as Burgess and was never found in spite of an extensive search. Investigators don't have any reason to believe the cases were related, however. Both disappearances remain unsolved and police believe both Burgess and Zedalis died shortly after they went missing.
- Cocoa Police Department 321-639-7620
Updated 3 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated March 17, 2018; clothing/jewelry description added, distinguishing characteristics and medical conditions updated.