Linda R. Chambrone

Chambrone, circa 1980; William Deeves

  • Missing Since 08/01/1980
  • Missing From Ocean Township, New Jersey
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 08/16/1947 (76)
  • Age 32 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'3, 105 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description Blue jeans and sandals.
  • Medical Conditions Chambrone has a history of depression.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, green eyes.

Details of Disappearance

Chambrone was last seen in Ocean Township, New Jersey on August 1, 1980. She lived with her husband in the 1200 block of Logan Road. They got into an argument and Chambrone left at 6:30 p.m.

After departing her residence, she stopped at a friend's home and watched television for awhile. She then left, telling her friend she planned to hitchhike to Asbury Park, New Jersey.

Chambrone has never been heard from again. She left her dog and all her personal belongings behind at home, including her clothes, purse and money.

Chambrone's husband reported his wife missing eighteen days later; he waited because it wasn't uncharacteristic of her to drop out of sight for a few days at a time without telling anyone. He and Chambrone were having severe marital problems in 1980, in part due to financial issues.

In 1985, William John Deeves Jr. confessed to killing Chambrone. He had murdered another woman, Sylvia Murphy, in 1984. A photo of Deeves is posted with this case summary. He had exhibited severe behavioral problems and symptoms of mental illness from early childhood and has an extensive criminal record dating back to his mid-teens, mostly for violent offenses.

Deeves stated he met Chambrone in an Asbury Park bar and drove her to Neptune, New Jersey. After she rejected his sexual advances he stopped the car, grabbed Chambrone by the feet and threw her from a bridge over a stream along Old Corlies Avenue in Neptune, New Jersey. Afterwards he went down to the embankment and pushed her body out into deeper water.

Police searched the stream with divers, but found nothing. The stream empties into the Shark River, which leads to the ocean. Deeves was convicted of Murphy's murder at trial, and in 1985 he pleaded guilty to Chambrone's murder. He was sentenced to a combined minimum term of fifty years in prison for both cases, and will not be eligible for parole until he is 82 years old.

Foul play is suspected in Chambrone's case due to the circumstances involved. Investigators don't believe her body can be recovered.

Investigating Agency

  • Ocean Township Police Department

Source Information

Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated July 2, 2017; casefile added.