Margaret Scott Becker
Becker, circa 2020; Becker in the clothes she was wearing the day of her disappearance;
- Missing Since 01/17/2020
- Missing From Sebring, Florida
- Classification Lost/Injured Missing
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Age 81 years old
- Height and Weight 5'2 - 5'3, 145 - 155 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A dark blue plaid long-sleeved button-down shirt, blue denim knee-length shorts, and possibly light pink sneakers. A photo of Becker in these clothes is posted with this case summary.
- Associated Vehicle(s) Blue 2018 Chevrolet Colorado pickup truck with the Ohio license plate number HOB 214 (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Gray hair, blue eyes. Becker goes by the name Helen, and many accounts refer to her as Helen Becker. She wears eyeglasses and she has a raised flesh-colored mole on her upper lip.
Details of Disappearance
Becker was last seen at the Southgate Plaza's Publix store in Sebring, Florida at 6:17 p.m. on January 17, 2020. She purchased bananas before leaving the store. She has never been heard from again.
She was driving a blue 2018 Chevrolet Colorado pickup truck with the Ohio license plate number HOB 214, a handicap placard hanging from the rear-view mirror, and a soft cover on the bed. A photo of a similar truck is posted with this case summary.
A vehicle matching the description of Becker's truck drove through the front gate of the Avon Park Bombing Range the night she disappeared, but police didn't learn about this until January 31. Acting on this information, they searched the Kissimmee River inside the range.
Divers found Becker's truck in the river about thirty yards off the boat ramp, submerged in 15 to 30 feet of water. The gearshift was in drive and three of the windows rolled down, suggesting someone was behind the wheel when the vehicle went into the water. There was no sign of Becker at the scene, and a further search of the river turned up only some items that had been in her vehicle.
Foul play is not suspected in Becker's disappearance, but the circumstances suggest she's deceased. Her case remains unsolved.
- Highlands County Sheriff's Office 863-402-7200
Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated July 10, 2022; casefile added.