Margo Andrea Register
Margo, circa 1994; Willis Register
- Missing Since 01/04/1994
- Missing From Crystal River, Florida
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race Black
- Date of Birth 12/04/1974 (48)
- Age 19 years old
- Height and Weight 5'4, 210 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description Red jogging pants, a black shirt and a black jacket with yellow stripes. Possibly a wedding band on a chain around her neck.
- Medical Conditions Margo has a history of suicide attempts and has previously been involuntarily committed to a psychiatric hospital. She may have been suicidal at the time of her 1994 disappearance.
- Distinguishing Characteristics African-American female. Black hair, brown eyes. Margo has scars on both of her wrists as the result of suicide attempts. Her ears are pierced. Margo wears eyeglasses. She goes by the nickname Ann.
Details of Disappearance
Margo's husband of ten months, Willis James Register, told authorities that he and his wife argued most of the day on January 4, 1994. He wanted her to leave him, and decided to treat her cruelly and insult her in hopes that she would finally go. Still arguing, they stopped at A To Z Beverage Store on Highway 44 at approximately 2:30 p.m.
Willis said he entered the store to buy a beer and get change for the nearby pay phone. He planned to make a call to expose Margo's suspected infidelity with a married man. When he left the store five minutes later, however, Margo was gone. She has never been heard from again.
Willis stated that he believed Margo had traveled to Washington, D.C., where her mother lived, but authorities believe foul play was involved in her case. She has no high school diploma, work experience or job training, and she left without money or extra clothes. She and Willis had a stormy relationship prior to her disappearance and he stated he had wanted to end it, but Margo threatened to take her own life if he left her.
Willis has a prior criminal record for assault, inciting a riot and one cocaine charge. He was arrested later in 1994 in connection with a shooting which killed his best friend and caused permanent brain damage in another victim. He was convicted of murder and attempted murder in late 1996 and sentenced to life in prison.
A photograph of Willis is posted with this case summary. He is the prime suspect in his wife's disappearance. Margo's case remains unsolved.
- Crystal River Police Department 352-795-4241
Updated 6 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated May 14, 2018; clothing/jewelry description, medical conditions and details of disappearance updated.