Mark Allan Nichter
Nichter, circa 2009; Nichter's plane
- Missing Since 12/15/2009
- Missing From St. Petersburg, Florida
- Classification Lost/Injured Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Date of Birth 09/23/1959 (63)
- Age 50 years old
- Height and Weight 6'5, 195 pounds
- Medical Conditions Nichter has an unspecified behavior disorder.
- Associated Vehicle(s) Single-engine, fixed-wing 2007 Cirrus R22 plane, colored silver with blue stripes and the tail number N723LJ
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, green eyes.
Details of Disappearance
Nichter flew out of from St. Petersburg on December 15, 2009. He was flying a single-engine, fixed-wing 2007 Cirrus R22 plane, colored silver with blue stripes and the tail number N723LJ. His intended destination is unknown.
At the time of his last radio contact, he was flying at 9,900 feet over the Gulf of Mexico, about 140 miles southwest of St. Petersburg. He lost radio communications at 4:00 p.m. and has never been heard from again.
An extensive Coast Guard search turned up no clues, and the search was called off after two days. A photo of Nichter's plane is posted with this case summary. No sign of him or the aircraft was ever located.
Nichter graduated from the Wayne State University School of Medicine in Detroit, Michigan. He had worked in the pediatric intensive care program at All Children's Hospital in St. Petersburg for about twenty years prior to his disappearance. He is presumed to have crashed his plane into the ocean.
- St. Petersburg Police Department 727-893-7265
Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated July 28, 2013; two pictures added, details of disappearance updated.