Mark Anthony Berumen
Berumen, circa 2002
- Missing Since 07/28/2002
- Missing From Phoenix, Arizona
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Male
- Race Hispanic
- Date of Birth 02/03/1977 (46)
- Age 25 years old
- Height and Weight 5'11, 175 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A silver Fossil watch.
- Associated Vehicle(s) Black 2002 Volkswagen Passat with the Arizona license plate number 4VHK020 (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics Hispanic male. Black hair, brown eyes. Berumen has numerous nicks and scars on the back of his head and an appendectomy scar on his abdomen.
Details of Disappearance
Berumen was last seen at 10:30 p.m. on July 28, 2002, at the Amazons nightclub in the 4100 block of north 7th Street in Phoenix, Arizona. He has never been heard from again. His vehicle, a black 2002 Volkswagen Passat with the Arizona license plate number 4VHK020, was later located abandoned at the nightclub.
In October 2004, police charged two Phoenix men, Patrick Steven Herring and Oliver Michael Pimental, with killing Berumen. A third man, Richard James Skaggs, was charged with stealing Berumen's car and credit card after his death. Police believe Berumen was shot to death inside an apartment in the 900 block of east Devonshire Avenue. Authorities found evidence of a homicide there, including a bathtub that had to be replaced because of gunshot damage.
Skaggs was found guilty of the thefts in February 2004 and was sentenced to 46 years in prison; he has never been charged in connection with Berumen's presumed homicide. Herring pleaded guilty to manslaughter in October 2004. Pimental was convicted of second-degree murder and sentenced to 25 years in prison.
Berumen was employed as a computer engineer for a Phoenix insurance company at the time of his disappearance. He graduated from Indio High School in California before moving to Arizona. His remains have not been found and may have been placed in a dumpster and taken to the landfill.
- Phoenix Police Department 602-262-6141
Updated 3 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated August 16, 2018; details of disappearance updated.