Mark Lindsey Bachelder
Mark, circa 1974; Age-progression to age 57 (circa 2013)
- Missing Since 09/22/1974
- Missing From Bryan Beach, Texas
- Classification Lost/Injured Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Date of Birth 05/18/1957 (66)
- Age 17 years old
- Height and Weight 5'8, 125 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description Blue cutoff jeans.
- Associated Vehicle(s) An old and battered surfboard with a white top, a bright yellow bottom, the word "Sunshine" written on the deck, the image of Indian on a horse on the belly, a red fin with gold trim and two black fins. One ding on the deck was filled with purple wax, and there was duct tape on the side at the front and back.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, blue eyes. Mark has previously fractured his back.
Details of Disappearance
Mark was last seen surfing on his bright yellow surfboard at Bryan Beach, Texas, near where the Brazos River empties into the Gulf of Mexico, on September 22, 1974. He is from Houston, Texas and he and some other Houston teenagers were camping in the area.
Mark and another boy, David Hesterlee, went surfing at 6:00 a.m. with their surfboards tethered to their ankles. When they had not arrived back to shore by 11:00 p.m., the beach patrol was notified and a search began. In spite of an extensive search lasting several days, neither of the surfers or their boards were located. They are assumed to be lost at sea.
Mark's surfboard had a white top and a bright yellow bottom with the word "Sunshine" written on the deck and an Indian on a horse on the belly. There was red fin with gold trim on the skeg, the fin at the bottom center of the board. David's surfboard was pale yellow in color with an unclear design. It was older and battered, with one ding on the deck filled with purple wax, duct tape on the side of the board at the front and back, and two black fins.
Like Mark, David was seventeen years old at the time of his disappearance. Photos and additional information for him are unavailable.
- Brazoria County Sheriff's Department 979-849-2441
Updated 3 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated March 6, 2015; age-progression added.