Mary Lou Black
Mary, circa 2009
- Missing Since 09/11/2009
- Missing From Atchison, Kansas
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Age 72 years old
- Height and Weight 5'1, 115 pounds
- Medical Conditions Mary was in the advanced stages of Alzheimer's Disease at the time of her disappearance. She may not recall her identity.
- Associated Vehicle(s) Light blue four-door 1990 Honda Civic with the Kansas license plate number AWX 605, paint missing from the hood, and a loud exhaust system which dangles from the undercarriage
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Gray hair, brown eyes.
Details of Disappearance
Mary and her husband Billie disappeared from Atchison, Kansas at 8:15 a.m. on September 11, 2009. They left their home in the 2400 block of Pacific Street in their light blue four-door 1990 Honda Civic with the Kansas license plate number AWX 605 and never returned. Their vehicle has never been located. It has paint missing from the hood, and its exhaust system is loud and dangles from the undercarriage.
After their disappearances, the lights were found turned on in the Blacks' home. Billie and Mary's driver's licenses were there, as well as a checkbook and some cash, and Billie's insulin was in the refrigerator.
Billie and Mary grew up together in Orrick, Missouri and graduated high school there. Billie went to engineering school, joined the Air Force, and eventually became a plant manager at an Atchison aluminum factory; Mary attended the University of Central Missouri and later taught school. They had one son together.
By the time of their disappearances, both Billie and Mary had severe health problems. Billie was stressed from having to care for Mary, and told their son it would be better for him if his parents weren't around.
Authorities and members of the Blacks' families believe they're no longer alive. One theory is that they drove, accidentally or intentionally, into the Missouri River. Little evidence is available in their cases, however, and their disappearances remain unsolved.
- Atchison County Sheriff's Office 913-367-4323
Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated October 9, 2010; casefile added.