Mary Theresa Zedalis
Zedalis, circa 1994
- Missing Since 04/07/1994
- Missing From Cocoa, Florida
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Date of Birth 10/16/1915 (107)
- Age 78 years old
- Height and Weight 5'8, 170 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A thin gold wedding band and possibly low-top sneakers. Carrying a handbag.
- Medical Conditions Zedalis has numerous medical problems, including a heart condition, and requires medication which she doesn't have with her. She has difficulty walking.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. White hair, blue eyes. Zedalis has an abnormal forward curvature of her spine called Dowager's Hump, which is caused by osteoporosis and causes her to slump forward. She wears prescription eyeglasses. Her maiden name is Grainger.
Details of Disappearance
Zedalis was last seen in Cocoa, Florida on April 7, 1994. She lived with her husband in an apartment complex in the 1500 block of Clearlake Road at the time. She has never been heard from again. She left her sunglasses and recently filled prescriptions on the kitchen table. She also left her cat behind, and her car was parked in her driveway with a recently purchased bag of kitty litter inside; only her purse was missing.
Zedalis's family don't believe she would have gone off with a stranger, and they stated she rarely took walks because she had difficulty walking. Police stated her son was a suspect in her disappearance, but he maintained his innocence and said he and his mother were close and he had no reason to harm her.
Another elderly person in Cocoa, Leanda Burgess, disappeared in the same month as Zedalis and was never found in spite of an extensive search. Investigators don't have any reason to believe the cases were related, however. Both disappearances remain unsolved and police believe both Burgess and Zedalis died shortly after they went missing.
- Cocoa Police Department 321-639-7620
Updated 4 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated March 31, 2018; middle name added, distinguishing characteristics updated.