Matthew Alan Mullaney
Mullaney, circa 2003; Mullaney's tattoo; Mullaney's shoes
- Missing Since 02/01/2003
- Missing From Florence, Italy
- Classification Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Date of Birth 11/05/1981 (41)
- Age 21 years old
- Height and Weight 5'10, 175 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A navy blue sweatshirt with a zip-up collar and a polo type logo, jeans and possibly tan suede Wallabie ankle boots at the time; a photograph of similar shoes is posted with this case summary.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Dark brown hair, hazel eyes. Mullaney has a tattoo of a flaming shamrock at the center of his upper back; a drawing of the tattoo is posted with this case summary. He has a mole on his left thigh and surgical scars on his left ankle from pin insertion. Mullaney's ears are pierced, but he was not wearing earrings at the time of his disappearance. His nickname is Matt. Mullaney may now have a beard and/or mustache.
Details of Disappearance
Mullaney was a student at Fairfield University in Connecticut in 2003. On January 11, 2003, he traveled to Florence, Italy to study at the Angell Academy of Art for one semester.
He was last seen at The Lion's Fountain, an Irish pub in Florence, on February 1, 2003. He left the pub at 2:30 a.m. and was last seen talking to a group of young people near the door. Mullaney was not intoxicated when he left the pub.
Mullaney's family says it is very uncharacteristic of him to leave without notifying them. While in Europe he had called home and emailed friends regularly until his disappearance. He said he was enjoying himself in Florence and studying hard.
He has not used his phone cards, which were pre-paid for international calls, since his disappearance; nor has he used his credit card. Mullaney was carrying his wallet, which contained his Massachusetts state driver's license and health insurance card, when he was last seen. However, he left his passport behind at his apartment.
Mullaney may be traveling across Europe. He could be in the Netherlands; in London, England; or in Dublin, Ireland. There have been several possible sightings of him since he was reported missing.
One possible sighting was on a train bound from Dover, England to London on April 5, 2003; a Dutch national had spoken to him and later identified him from a security videotape. The witness says Mullaney spoke of traveling to Dublin and getting a job there.
The second sighting of Mullaney placed him on a ferry from Holyhead, Wales to Dublin on July 23, 2003; a witness there states that the man resembling Mullaney became uneasy when officials announced that they would be doing an immigration check at the landing.
Some Scottish men reported seeing Mullaney in Galway, Ireland on January 3, 2004. Witnesses in Bologna, Italy report seeing a man resembling Mullaney on February 1, 2004. They report that the man was very thin and unkempt and seemed ill. This individual, who claimed to be English, has never been identified.
Although Mullaney disappeared in Europe, the Charley Project is profiling his case due to his American citizenship. Irish and Dutch police are investigating his disappearance. Mullaney's case is unsolved.
- Dutch National Police 31-343-57-8844
- Amsterdam Police 31-20-559-2321
- The Dublin Gardai 011-353-1666-2615
Updated 3 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated May 6, 2020; distinguishing characteristics updated.