Matthew John Ferris
Ferris, circa 1991
- Missing Since 02/01/1991
- Missing From Des Moines, Iowa
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Date of Birth 11/15/1970 (52)
- Age 20 years old
- Height and Weight 5'10, 140 pounds
- Medical Conditions Ferris was treated for depression during the months prior to his 1991 disappearance.
- Associated Vehicle(s) Silver 1982 Pontiac
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Blond hair, blue eyes. Ferris's nickname is Matt.
Details of Disappearance
Ferris initially left his family's residence in Des Moines, Iowa on July 25, 1990. He told his relatives that he was taking the day off from work to assist a friend moving into a new home. His family discovered a note from Ferris at their house later in the day, in which he offered a written apology for any pain caused by his disappearance.
Ferris returned to his residence one week later and was apparently frightened. He underwent psychiatric treatment for the next six months and enrolled at Iowa State University.
Ferris's father told authorities that his son had been displaying manic tendencies before he vanished in February 1991. He also said that Ferris's cheerful demeanor was uncharacteristic of his son's usual mood at the time.
Ferris departed from his family's home sometime during February 1991, driving a silver 1982 Pontiac, and apparently traveled to Custer State Park in South Dakota. His loved ones believe he visited the park due to his interest in Native American folklore.
Ferris's whereabouts since that time are unknown; it's possible he headed to the West Coast. His family reported him as a missing person to authorities on March 7, 1991. He has never been heard from again. When his grandmother died in 1995, he was listed in her obituary as having survived her. His case remains unsolved.
- Des Moines Police Department 515-283-4800
Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated July 1, 2015; details of disappearance updated.