Merlene C. Hayes
Hayes, circa 1994
- Missing Since 04/26/1994
- Missing From Tallahassee, Florida
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race Black
- Date of Birth 06/27/1938 (84)
- Age 55 years old
- Height and Weight 5'7, 170 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A purple flowered shirt, pants and Nike sneakers.
- Medical Conditions Hayes requires medication for depression. She may become disoriented and not remember her identity if she does not take her medicine regularly.
- Distinguishing Characteristics African-American female. Gray hair, brown eyes. Hayes has a mole on the bridge of her nose. She often wears wigs and was wearing one at the time of her disappearance.
Details of Disappearance
Hayes was last seen leaving her residence on Pepper Drive in Tallahassee, Florida on April 26, 1994. At 7:30 p.m., she told her daughter, Angela Harris, that she wanted to go for a walk for the second time that day.
Harris did not want her to go because it was late, but Hayes left anyway. She has never been heard from again, although there were unconfirmed sightings of her in the local area in the days and weeks after her disappearance.
Harris stated her mother disappeared once before and was found in Marianna, Florida three days later. Harris did not report Hayes missing for six days after her April 1994 disappearance as a result of her going missing previously. She stated it was uncharacteristic of her mother to be out of touch with the family for this long.
Hayes's case remains unsolved.
- Leon County Sheriff's Office 850-922-3300
Updated 3 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated December 29, 2018; middle initial added.