Michael W. Schmidt
Schmidt, circa 2018
- Missing Since 06/10/2018
- Missing From Pawnee, Illinois
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Age 59 years old
- Height and Weight 5'7 - 5'8, 130 - 140 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A gray shirt, blue jeans and cowboy boots.
- Medical Conditions Schmidt suffers from cancer and was in poor health at the time of his disappearance. He has a stoma (surgically created hole) on his trachea with a breathing tube inserted, and as a result he is unable to speak.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Gray hair, brown eyes. Schmidt had a scruffy beard at the time of his disappearance.
Details of Disappearance
Schmidt was last seen in the 7600 block of Vigal Road, near where the road intersects Brush Creek, in Pawnee, Illinois between 4:00 and 6:00 p.m. on June 10, 2018. He was hunting arrowheads with a friend. His friend tried to wave for Schmidt to return to their vehicle, but Schmidt merely acknowledged the wave and never went to the car. He has never been heard from again.
In the hours after Schmidt went missing, it rained approximately six inches in the area and Brush Creek rose to a depth of ten to twelve feet. The extreme rain flooded the timber and nearby fields for about one hundred to two hundred yards around the creek, with the floodwaters knee- to waist-high in places. What followed was a heat wave. The inclement weather seriously hindered search efforts.
Due to his state of health and the circumstances of his disappearance, Schmidt is considered to be in danger. His case remains unsolved.
- Sangamon County Sheriff's Office 217-753-6840
Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated June 14, 2019; casefile added.