Monique Christine Daniels

Monique, circa 1992; Age-progression to age 41 (circa 2017)

  • Missing Since 06/02/1992
  • Missing From Moore, Oklahoma
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 06/16/1976 (47)
  • Age 15 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'4, 125 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A men's large green military-type flight jacket and a men's diamond ring. The ring was too large for her finger and was taped to keep it on.
  • Associated Vehicle(s) Blue Chevrolet pickup truck
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Monique has a half-moon shaped scar on the outside of her left ankle and a three-inch scar on her right shin. She has a mole on the upper left side of her lip. Monique's upper left incisor tooth is chipped. She occasionally wears blue wire-framed eyeglasses. Monique's nickname is Nicki.

Details of Disappearance

Monique has was last seen by a neighbor on June 2, 1992 in Moore, Oklahoma. The witness told authorities that she was loading clothes into a blue Chevrolet pickup truck driven by an unidentified Caucasian male. She has never been heard from again.

Monique was abused by her biological father, who is now in prison for sex offenses. By 1992, she lived with her mother, Candyce Daniels, stepfather, Charles "Chuck" Daniels, her three siblings and her two half-siblings. She was the oldest child in the family. Her stepfather was a sergeant in the Air Force and her mother was also in the military.

She disappeared while her mother and two of her siblings, Angelique and Bryan, were touring with their church choir for a week. When they returned home, Chuck simply said "She's gone again." Angelique would later state that the house, which was normally kept very clean, was in a state of disarray. Beer cans and cigarette butts were lying out, and there was an empty pregnancy test box sitting on the bathroom counter.

Monique's parents didn't report her as a missing person because, they said, they believed she had run away from home. She had run away earlier after she became pregnant and her parents forced her to have an abortion, but her best friend convinced her to return home.

In January 1993, Monique's maternal aunt contacted the police to inquire about her case and learned no missing persons report had been filed. She asked Candyce about it, and two days later, Candyce said Monique had called home and spoken to her younger sister, Angelique, and said she was safe.

A week after that, a letter supposedly from Monique, postmarked Dallas, Texas, arrived in the mail. A second letter arrived in September 1993. The letters said Monique had gotten married and given birth to a daughter named Chelsea, and she and her husband and child they were currently in Alaska but frequently traveled for his job.

Nothing further was heard. Monique's aunt asked the police to check the handwriting on the letters and see if it was really hers. The day before Candyce was supposed to bring them to the police for the examination, the letters and some other items were stolen in a reported burglary at the Daniels family home.

Chuck reportedly said the house was "so much better" and "tranquil" in the aftermath of Monique's disappearance. Angelique stated her mother and stepfather seemed to "erase" Monique from the home; for example, they prohibited their children from talking about their missing sister, and had new family portraits taken to replace the displayed ones that had Monique in them.

In January 1994, Angelique ran away from home and took a bus to Michigan to live with her aunt. When she left, Candyce and Chuck reported her missing immediately. After Angelique arrived at her aunt's home, she filed criminal complaints against her mother and stepfather, alleging physical and mental abuse. (Candyce and Chuck later pleaded no contest to the charges.)

Angelique also told the police that Chuck had made her write the letters they said were from Monique, and that he drove her to Texas so they could mail them. The phone call had been a fabrication as well. Angelique said Chuck had convinced her to go along with his plan so they could provide reassurance for Candyce, who, he said, had become suicidal in the wake of her oldest daughter's disappearance.

When the police asked Chuck about Angelique's allegations, he admitted they were all true. Candyce finally filed a missing persons report at this time. Neither of them would agree to take a polygraph test about Monique's case.

According to Monique's sister and her best friend, Candyce and Chuck were very strict and Monique was often in trouble. One of Monique and Angelique's brothers, Andrew, also alleged there was child abuse in the home. He stated that on the day of Monique's disappearance, she and her stepfather had been fighting. Chuck decided to go on a spontaneous fishing trip with his sons, which was a common event in the family, and told them to say goodbye to Monique.

According to Andrew, Chuck only let them say goodbye to her through her cracked bedroom door. When Andrew looked in, he saw Monique sitting cross-legged and unmoving on the floor. She didn't say anything to him. Andrew's younger brother, Charles Daniels Jr., told a different story, saying he hugged Monique goodbye and she told him she was sorry she couldn't join them.

The others left to go fishing in the rain, without their fishing poles, and according to Andrew, Chuck drove for two hours in one direction, stopped at a fast food restaurant, then drove back home. He parked the car in the garage and left it there with the boys inside for approximately an hour while he was inside the house.

Chuck then let the boys inside, told them he was going to look for Monique, and locked them in his bedroom for two days. One of Monique's other brothers recalled this incident and noted that there was an oil barrel in the back of Chuck's truck at the time.

When questioned by the media about Monique's siblings' allegations, Chuck and Candyce denied them and claimed Angelique was mentally unstable and unreliable and that both she and Andrew have substance abuse issues, something Angelique and Andrew have both denied.

Monique's parents, who now live in Florida, have refused to make any further statements. They have not been named as suspects in her case, but police did dig up the yard at their former home to see if Monique was buried there. Her case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency

  • Moore Police Department 405-793-5151
  • Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation 405-848-6724

Updated 7 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated October 22, 2018; picture added, details of disappearance updated.