Monte Howard Bolton
Monte, circa 1992
- Missing Since 01/04/1992
- Missing From Ventura County, California
- Classification Lost/Injured Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Date of Birth 03/21/1964 (59)
- Age 27 years old
- Height and Weight 5'9, 135 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A blue and gray plaid coat and blue jeans.
- Associated Vehicle(s) Eight-foot dinghy (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, brown eyes.
Details of Disappearance
Monte was last seen at Channel Islands National Park on January 4, 1992. He and his 21-year-old brother, Bryan Bolton, were visiting their parents in Thousand Oaks, California for the 1991/1992 holidays when went out on a sailboat with their older brother and two brothers-in-law.
The group went to Anacapa Island, about eleven miles southwest of the Channel Islands Harbor, and then Bryan and Monte decided to explore the island's sea caves. They left on an eight-foot dinghy and were last seen heading west from the north side of the island. The brothers never returned from their trip. Their dinghy was found about fifty yards north of Cathedral Cave, upright, but full of water.
About twenty-four hours after the brothers were reported missing, a searching dive team found Bryan's body at the back of an Anacapa Island sea cave. The divers thought they saw a second body as well, but couldn't be sure, and they had to suspend the search because of the weather.
Monte is presumed to have drowned, but his body was never recovered.
- Ventura County Sheriff's Department 805-654-2324
Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated March 8, 2018; casefile added.