Norman Leroy Limesand

Limesand, circa 1999; Steve Allen Thomas

  • Missing Since 11/12/1999
  • Missing From Marion, North Dakota
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 11/07/1917 (106)
  • Age 82 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'6, 175 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description Western-style boots.
  • Associated Vehicle(s) Red 1995 Ford club cab pickup truck with the North Dakota license plate number EIP-754 and a a red toolbox featuring "4x4" decals in its bed (accounted for)
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Gray hair, blue eyes. Limesand is missing the index finger on his right hand. He wears eyeglasses, but they were left behind.

Details of Disappearance

Limesand was last seen at approximately 3:30 p.m. on November 12, 1999 in Marion, North Dakota. He was driving his red 1995 Ford club cab pickup truck with the North Dakota license plate number EIP-754 at the time. The vehicle had a red toolbox featuring "4x4" decals installed in its bed.

He was en route to his son's farm at the time of his disappearance. He never arrived as scheduled and has not been heard from again.

Several witnesses claimed that they saw Limesand in a church in Waubay, South Dakota shortly after he was reported missing. The man matching Limesand's description was reportedly upset at the time of the incident. His family members stated that the described behavior was uncharacteristic of him. The sighting has never been confirmed.

Limesand's truck was discovered abandoned on a street in the Romkey Park neighborhood of Moorehead, Minnesota on November 16, 1999, four days after his initial disappearance. Traces of his blood were found in the toolbox, but there was no other sign of Limesand at the scene. The Wrangler tire that was normally kept in the truck's bed was missing and has never been recovered.

In August 2005, authorities charged Steve Allen Thomas with Limesand's murder. A photograph of Thomas is posted with this case summary.

His mother, Bonnie Rosland, lied to the police to give Thomas an alibi in Limesand's case shortly after Limesand vanished. She told them she and Thomas had gone to Fargo, North Dakota the day Limesand disappeared, but phone records proved they had both been at home. Rosland pleaded guilty to perjury and was sentenced to five months in jail.

Rosland and Thomas lived two and a half miles from Limesand's home in 1999. Prior to Limesand's disappearance, he and Thomas got into a heated argument about a water drainage problem. After Limesand vanished, authorities found his eyeglasses and traces of his blood at the approach to Rosland's farm.

Thomas turned himself into the police several days after the murder charge was filed against him. In November 2006, he pleaded guilty to manslaughter in connection with Limesand's disappearance. He admitted to having shot Limesand to death, but claimed it was a hunting accident.

Thomas agreed to help authorities find the missing man's body, but he stated he could not remember exactly where he concealed the remains. In 2007, he was sentenced to the maximum term of ten years in prison. He was paroled in 2014.

Limesand left behind a wife and eight children, four sons and four daughters. His remains have not been located, but foul play is suspected in his case due to the circumstances involved. He was declared legally dead in 2002.

Investigating Agency

  • LaMoure County Sheriff's Department 701-883-5720

Updated 6 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated October 9, 2019; age corrected, middle name added.