Paul Joseph Fuchs Jr.
Fuchs, circa 1976
- Missing Since 12/12/1976
- Missing From Long Beach, California
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Date of Birth 03/10/1957 (66)
- Age 19 years old
- Height and Weight 6'3 - 6'4, 160 - 170 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description Blue jeans, light brown leather shoes with rounded toes, and lots of jewelry.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Light brown hair, blue eyes. Fuchs had a Fu Manchu style mustache at the time of his disappearance. His last name is pronounced "Fukes" and his family calls him Young Paul. He is of German and Hungarian descent.
Details of Disappearance
Fuchs was last seen in Long Beach, California on December 12, 1976. He lived with his parents and three older brothers on Redondo Avenue. That evening he ate dinner ahead of the rest of his family and went out with friends, leaving behind his wallet. He was last seen at the Ripples Bar in the company of a strange man. He made no withdrawals from his bank account after his disappearance and has never been heard from again.
Fuchs is a graduate of Wilson High School. He was working odd jobs at the time of his disappearance while trying to decide his future. His family said he was close to them and always kept them informed of his whereabouts. His mother described him as a talented artist who could also cook, sew and iron.
Prior to his disappearance, Fuchs was scheduled to appear in court on a misdemeanor charge of underage drinking. A warrant was issued for his arrest when he failed to show up. His family went to the courthouse for the next several days in case he should come there, but he never did.
Authorities believe Fuchs may have been a victim of serial killer Randy Kraft, also known as the Scorecard Killer or the Freeway Killer, who targeted young men in the Los Angeles, California area in the 1970s and early 1980s. A photo of Kraft is posted with this case summary. He was a frequent patron of Ripples, and the man who was with Fuchs on the night of his disappearance resembled him.
Kraft was convicted of sixteen murders in 1989, but is suspected of as many as fifty more. He is now awaiting execution on California's death row.
Fuchs was listed as a probable Kraft victim in 1983. Jeffrey Sayre, who's been missing since 1979, is another presumed victim. Their bodies have never been found and no one has been charged in their disappearances, however; they remain officially unsolved.
- Long Beach Police Department 562-570-8810
Updated 3 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated February 26, 2016; details of disappearance updated.