Peggy Jo DeCoteau
Peggy, circa 1979
- Missing Since 07/04/1979
- Missing From Superior, Montana
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Date of Birth 09/20/1938 (84)
- Age 40 years old
- Height and Weight 5'0 - 5'4, 155 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description Levi's jeans. Carrying a light denim travel bag and a brown leather purse containing approximately $200 in cash.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Red hair, blue eyes. Peggy may use the middle names Jean and/or Joan, or her maiden name, Cashman. She has a mole on the right side of her face and a surgical scar on her abdomen from a gall bladder operation.
Details of Disappearance
Peggy was last seen in Superior, Montana on July 4, 1979. She and her husband, Earl, had traveled from their home in Maple Valley, Washington to visit relatives in North Dakota, and they stopped at the Big Sky Motel in Superior on the way home.
Earl stated that he woke up in their room at 11:00 p.m. and Peggy was gone. Her purse, credit cards and travel bag were also missing. She has never been heard from again. Earl waited for nine days before reporting the disappearance to police; in the meantime, he tried to find Peggy by checking to see if she was with various friends and relatives.
The DeCoteaus had been having marital problems, and investigators believed at first that Peggy had left of her own accord. Her credit cards were never used after she went missing, however, and foul play is now suspected in her disappearance. Her case remains unsolved.
- Mineral County Sheriff's Department 406-822-3555
Updated 3 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated December 31, 2017; clothing/jewelry description added, distinguishing characteristics and details of disappearance updated.