Quantez DeMont Russell
Russell, circa 2015; Tattoos on Russell's forearms; Tattoos on Russell's hands
- Missing Since 11/11/2015
- Missing From Suffolk, Virginia
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Male
- Race Black
- Date of Birth 07/05/1986 (36)
- Age 30 years old
- Height and Weight 6'2, 170 - 180 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A gray shirt, blue jeans, a red hat and sneakers.
- Associated Vehicle(s) Silver Lexus (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics African-American male. Black hair, brown eyes. Russell has his nickname "TAZZ" tattooed on his lower right arm and the words "CMP BULLET" tattooed on his lower left arm; he also has tattoos on the backs of both hands. Photos of some of his tattoos are posted with this case summary. Russell's left ear is pierced, and his right pinky finger was broken when he was a child and is deformed. He had a beard at the time of his disappearance.
Details of Disappearance
Russell was last seen at his home on Forest Street in Suffolk, Virginia on November 11, 2015. He left the city that day to go to Newport News, Virginia and has never been heard from again.
At 9:00 p.m. the day Russell disappeared, his mother got a phone call from a friend who had heard Russell had been shot in the East End area of Newport News. Russell's mother went to Newport News to look for him and couldn't find him, and police didn't get any reports of shots being fired that night.
The next day, his silver Lexus was found abandoned at a gas station in Newport News, with some of his belongings inside it. Investigators believe someone other than Russell left the vehicle there.
Russell's mother stated he joined the Bloods gang when he was in the eighth grade, and he got arrested multiple times as an adult. She believes his gang activity was a factor in his disappearance.
His cellular phone and car were later found in someone else's possession after his disappearance. This person later turned them over to Russell's girlfriend. He also told acquaintances he'd seen Russell "take his last breath" but later told police he hadn't been at the scene of the shooting.
According to various accounts, Russell went to a house intending to steal drugs, guns and money, and got shot by another man. He was only grazed on the face, but after the shooting the shooter and a second man beat him, tied his hands in chains, and threw him in the trunk of a car. Russell was able to get out of the chains and when the men pulled over, he fought them, but they shot him in the head and threw his body in the water. This story has not been verified.
Russell is a lifetime Suffolk resident and his entire family also lives in that city. It's uncharacteristic of him to be out of touch with his family: he was very involved in his young son's life, and he normally spoke to his brother on a daily basis. No one has been charged in his case, but foul play is suspected.
- Suffolk Police Department 757-923-2350
Updated 3 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated August 9, 2022; three pictures added, distinguishing characteristics updated.