Randall David Ward
Ward, circa 2011
- Missing Since 06/28/2011
- Missing From Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- Classification Lost/Injured Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Date of Birth 09/27/1952 (70)
- Age 58 years old
- Height and Weight 6'1, 185 pounds
- Medical Conditions Ward has unspecified health issues and needed surgery for a painful foot condition. He was also depressed over his son's suicide at the time of his disappearance.
- Associated Vehicle(s) 24-foot Hurricane Sundeck boat (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Gray hair, green eyes. Ward's nickname is Randy.
Details of Disappearance
Ward was last seen in Fort Lauderdale, Florida on June 28, 2011. He had left his Eden Prairie, Minnesota home on June 21, and taken a motorcycle trip to Florida; this trip was on his "bucket list". He left his wife and two daughters behind in Minnesota.
He rented a 24-foot Hurricane Sundeck Boat from the Bahia Mar Resort and Yachting Center marina in the 800 block of Seabreeze Boulevard on Lake Worth at 9:00 a.m., and was due back by evening, but he never returned. At 8:00 p.m., the marina reported him and the boat overdue, and a search was launched.
Ward's boat was found adrift seven miles offshore at 1:00 a.m. on August 4. It was unoccupied and had some mechanical problems; there was a rope wrapped around the propeller. Ward's wife stated he owned a boat at home and whenever it had problems, he would jump in the water himself to fix them, and would not wear a life jacket while doing so.
An extensive search turned up no indication of Ward's whereabouts. His wife described him as an experienced boater and a very good swimmer who could tread water for an extensive time period and was on his high school scuba diving team. He is presumed drowned, but his body has never been located.
- Fort Lauderdale Police Department 954-828-5700
Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated March 13, 2019; casefile added.