Rebecca Ann Ware

Ware, circa 2010; Timothy Johnson; Ware's car

  • Missing Since 10/29/2010
  • Missing From St. Augustine, Florida
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 11/17/1975 (48)
  • Age 34 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'6 - 5'10, 200 pounds
  • Associated Vehicle(s) Sea-foam green 2005 Ford Focus (accounted for)
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Ware has blonde highlights in her hair. Her nickname is Becky.

Details of Disappearance

Ware was last seen leaving her workplace, Hydro Aluminum North America in the 200 block of Riviera Boulevard in St. Augustine, Florida, at 4:15 p.m. on October 29, 2010. She has never been heard from again. Her family reported her missing on November 2.

Her aunt checked her home in the 100 block of Phoenetia in St. Augustine Shores and noticed Ware's purse and wallet were there, but her debit card and driver's license were missing. Her cellular phone was there, its screen smashed in.

On November 4, Ware's sea-foam green 2005 Ford Focus was found abandoned in the parking lot of a Publix store on Wildwood Drive, a short distance from her home. A photo of the car is posted with this case summary.

Ware left behind three teenage children. She and the children's father, John Gaffney, separated in October 2009. Gaffney was convicted of domestic violence against Ware in 1998.

She also had a history of domestic violence with her live-in boyfriend of one year, Timothy Lee Johnson, although no police reports were ever filed. He admitted to the police that he had committed multiple violent acts against her, such as hitting her, choking her and throwing a telephone at her head.

Ware told Gaffney that Johnson frequently abused her and choked her, and her coworkers noticed bruises on her body which she tried to conceal with long sleeves. Johnson was released from prison in 2007 after serving 15 years of a 22-year sentence for kidnapping, assault and attempted murder. He also has convictions in 1988 for sexual battery and in 1991 for being a felon in possession of a firearm. A photo of him is posted with this case summary.

According to Gaffney and Ware's aunt, she had planned to leave Johnson and move back in with Gaffney and her children, and had already moved most of her belongings to Gaffney's house. Johnson's mother, however, stated the couple were happy together and were considering getting married.

In August 2012, Johnson was charged with second-degree murder in Ware's case. Neighbors of the couple reported seeing Ware and Johnson arguing in front of their house on the evening of October 29, surveillance videos placed Johnson's car in the same parking lot where Ware's was found abandoned, and a friend of Johnson's reported that he burned clothes after Ware's disappearance.

Johnson claimed he was in Palatka, Florida when Ware disappeared, but his cellular phone records place him in St. Augustine. Investigators also discovered bloodstains, matched to both Ware and Johnson, in their home. In January 2016, Johnson pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and was sentenced to 19 years in prison, with credit for three years' time served.

Prior to her disappearance, Ware had lived with her aunt off and on, staying with her for short periods to escape violence in her relationships. Foul play is suspected in her case due to the circumstances involved.

Updated 4 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated March 28, 2018; details of disappearance updated.