Rebecca Rachel Modrall
Modrall, circa 2019; Tattoos on Modrall's shoulders; Tattoo on her breast; Tattoo below her ear
- Missing Since 02/05/2019
- Missing From La Quinta, California
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Date of Birth 04/15/1985 (38)
- Age 33 years old
- Height and Weight 5'9, 165 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A beige skirt and top, black tights, black shoes and a brown and black mink stole.
- Associated Vehicle(s) Rented white four-door 2019 Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck with tinted windows and chrome bumpers (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, brown eyes. Modrall has tattoos on her neck, both upper arms, both wrists, both breasts, her left ankle, and her lower back, including a green leaf on one upper arm and a red flower above the name "Ashlee" on her other upper arm at the shoulder. Her ears are pierced. Photos of some of her tattoos are posted with this case summary.
Details of Disappearance
Modrall was last seen at Joe Coker's home in the 80900 block of Vista Bonita La Quinta, California on February 5, 2019. She and Coker had been seeing each other for thirteen years but usually didn't meet at his home, as he was married. His wife was out of town, however, so he invited her over.
Modrall's friend, publicly identified as Will, had met with her at 2:00 p.m., before she went to Coker's, and they had plans to meet later in the day as well. She told Will she planned to spend only an hour or two at Coker's. Will texted her twice, at 4:51 p.m. and 5:41 p.m., but she never replied, and the second message was never delivered. Her sister tried to call her that evening and she never answered.
According to Coker, Modrall left his home at 5:00 p.m. and mentioned she might go to Thousand Oaks, California. She has never been heard from again. The last time she had contact with anyone other than Coker was at 2:21 p.m., when she texted Will to ask if he was headed home. She never returned to her own home in Rancho Mirage, California and has never been heard from again.
At 1:30 p.m. on February 6, a homeless man called Will from Modrall's phone and said he'd found the phone lying on the ground by the street in front of a business called Lighthouse Dispensary, in the 84100 block of Avenue 48 in Coachella, California. He offered to sell Will the phone for $20, and he went to Coachella and got it. It was her second phone, which she used for work; she also had a phone for personal use.
He and Modrall's sister were very worried by this time, as she took good care of both her personal and her work phones and always kept them with her. Will asked the police do a welfare check on Modrall, and they went to her home and found it deserted.
She was reported missing on February 7. The last time her phone pinged, it was in the 800 block of Avenue 51 in Coachella, about three blocks from where the homeless man found her work phone.
On February 8, her rented pickup truck, a white four-door 2019 Chevrolet Silverado with tinted windows and chrome bumpers, was found abandoned at an undisclosed location. She was driving the rental vehicle because her own car had broken down. On February 19, police changed the status of Modrall's disappearance from a missing person to a possible homicide.
Coker died by suicide on March 2, less than a month after Modrall's disappearance. He has never been named as a suspect in her case and it's not clear why he took his life.
Modrall's daughter lived with her grandparents, but saw her mother regularly, and they were supposed to have dinner together the day after Modrall disappeared. She always kept in regular contact with her family members and never went anywhere without her makeup. All her personal belongings were left behind at home.
Her case remains unsolved.
- Riverside County Sheriff's Office 951-955-2450
Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated February 9, 2020; casefile added.