Rene Escobar Sanchez
Sanchez, circa 2008; Jesus Venegas in 2013
- Missing Since 07/12/2008
- Missing From Odessa, Texas
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Male
- Race Hispanic
- Date of Birth 03/05/1972 (51)
- Age 36 years old
- Height and Weight 5'8, 190 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A gray/green knit polo shirt, beige cargo shorts and black Nike sneakers with a white swoosh.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Hispanic male. Brown hair, brown eyes. Sanchez has the name "Escobar Sanchez" tattooed on the front of his left shoulder and a large dragon tattooed on the inside of his right arm. He has a scar between his eyebrows.
Details of Disappearance
Sanchez was last seen drinking beer inside the garage of his house in the 1900 block of north Hancock Avenue in Odessa, Texas at 11:00 p.m. on July 12, 2008. He left his vehicle, cellular phone, cap, money, identification and wallet behind. He has never been heard from again.
Sanchez, who worked as a mechanic at the time of his disappearance is described as a with no enemies who was devoted to his family. It's uncharacteristic of him to leave without warning.
In January 2013, Jesus Miguel Venegas confessed to Sanchez's murder after he was arrested for driving on an invalid license. A photo of Venegas is posted with this case summary. He had been drinking with Sanchez at Sanchez's home that night and the last person to see him; he originally told police they drank until after 2:30 a.m. on July 13, then he left.
Venegas later admitted that he stabbed Sanchez to death and buried his body in the vicinity of Interstate 20 and Moss Avenue. Searches of that area turned up nothing, but Venegas was convicted and in November 2015, he was sentenced to 18 years in prison for the killing.
Sanchez had been married for five years by the time of his disappearance, and he left behind two young children. Foul play is suspected in his case due to the circumstances involved.
- Odessa Police Department 432-333-3641
Updated 4 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated May 13, 2016; details of disappearance updated.