Richard Gary Jr.
Gary, circa 1994
- Missing Since 11/27/1994
- Missing From Sumter County, South Carolina
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Male
- Race Black
- Date of Birth 03/07/1936 (87)
- Age 58 years old
- Height and Weight 6'0, 175 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A black leather coat, beige pants and a white hat.
- Medical Conditions Gary is mildly diabetic and is supposed to take medication, but left it behind when he vanished.
- Associated Vehicle(s) 1980 Oldsmobile Regency (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics African-American male. Black hair, brown eyes. Gary's right leg has been amputated, and he uses crutches to walk.
Details of Disappearance
Gary left his residence in the 4300 block of Rosewood Drive in Sumter County, South Carolina at 7:30 p.m. on November 27, 1994. He went to purchase kerosene at a convenience store on Cherryvale Drive, a few miles from his home. He loaded the kerosene into his car and drove away.
The clerk at the convenience store is the last person known to have seen Gary. He has never been heard from again.
Gary's 1980 Oldsmobile Regency was later found by a farmer in a field off of St. Paul's Church Road, just miles from his home. There was no sign of foul play at the scene.
Investigators believe Gary's disappearance may be connected to his diabetes, but foul play is also possible in his case. His case remains unsolved.
- Sumter County Sheriff's Office 803-436-2053
Updated 2 times sinces October 12, 2004. Last updated March 26, 2006; date of birth added.