Rima Danette Traxler
Rima, circa 1985; Age-progression to age 34 (circa 2010); Joseph Kondro, circa 1999
- Missing Since 05/15/1985
- Missing From Longview, Washington
- Classification Non-Family Abduction
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Date of Birth 11/09/1976 (46)
- Age 8 years old
- Height and Weight 4'3, 45 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A tan plaid skirt, a pink shirt, a knee-length coat with a belt, white tights, dark brown clogs, and a rainbow-colored hair barrette.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Rima has a light-colored mark across her right shoulder blade. She has a half-inch scar under her chin. Her hair was down to the middle of her back at the time she disappeared.
Details of Disappearance
Rima was last seen walking approximately two blocks from her family's residence in Longview, Washington on May 15, 1985. She was returning home from St. Helen's Elementary School at the time. Rima stopped to show a neighbor an art project she made at school, then continued walking towards her family's residence. She never arrived at her house and has not been seen again.
Joseph Kondro, a close friend of Rima's family, was driving to a local store to buy beer and cigarettes shortly before Rima was last seen. A photo of Kondro is posted with this case summary. he was questioned by authorities during their initial 1985 investigation into Rima's disappearance, but no evidence was discovered linking him to her case at the time.
Rima's case remained unsolved until Kondro was charged with the 1997 abduction, rape and murder of a twelve-year-old girl in the Longview, Washington area. He agreed to a deal with prosecutors in 1999 which allowed him to confess to murdering both Rima and the other child while avoiding the death penalty. Kondro was sentenced to a 55-year prison term instead.
Kondro stated that he knew the password Rima's mother have given to her, "Unicorn," and used it to abduct her in 1985. Kondro said he took Rima to a swimming hole on Germany Creek in Longview and strangled her. He claimed he buried her in a shallow grave near the location. Investigators searched the area in 1999, but were unable to locate any sign of Rima.
Kondro, who is also a suspect in the 1982 murder of an eight-year-old girl, died in prison of natural causes in 2012, at the age of 52. Her remains have never been found.
- Longview Police Department 360-577-3157
Updated 4 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated December 13, 2018; details of disappearance updated.