Robert Earl Sheriff
Sheriff, circa 1997
- Missing Since 12/23/1997
- Missing From Jackson, Mississippi
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Male
- Race Black
- Age 50 years old
- Height and Weight 6'2, 280 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A sweater, a jacket, jeans and sneakers.
- Medical Conditions Sheriff may have been taking seizure medication at the time of his disappearance.
- Associated Vehicle(s) Dodge Dynasty (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics African-American male. Black hair, brown eyes. Sheriff has a scar on his leg.
Details of Disappearance
Sheriff was last seen at 10:30 p.m. on December 23, 1997 in Jackson, Mississippi. He left his sister's home en route to his own home in the 4100 block of Plaza Street, but never arrived there. His Dodge Dynasty was found the next day on Christmas Eve, in Hanging Moss Creek south of Briarwood Drive.
The creek was swollen at this time. Sheriff's coat was inside the car and searchers found another jacket belonging to him in the creek. It appeared as if he had been driving on Hanging Moss Road, near Beasley Road, when his car went off the road near a bridge.
Sheriff had been severely sleep-deprived in the days prior to his disappearance. Authorities initially believed he drowned, but his body was never located and foul play is now considered possible in his disappearance.
He worked as a social studies teacher at the Hind County Youth Detention Center at the time of his disappearance. He left behind a wife and five adult children. His case remains unsolved.
- Jackson Police Department 601-960-1234
- Hinds County Sheriff's Office 601-968-6731
Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated February 16, 2019; middle name and clothing/jewelry description added, distinguishing characteristics updated.