Robert Matthew Bockmann
Bockmann, circa 2003
- Missing Since 04/18/2003
- Missing From Boulder, Colorado
- Classification Lost/Injured Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Date of Birth 11/11/1976 (46)
- Age 26 years old
- Height and Weight 5'10, 170 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A white t-shirt with an oval logo, blue shorts and blue sneakers or new Vasque hiking/trail running shoes.
- Medical Conditions Bockmann suffered from severe depression prior to his disappearance and had attempted suicide twice.
- Associated Vehicle(s) Silver Dodge Neon with Texas license plates (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Blond hair, blue eyes. Bockmann's nickname is Robbie. He has a long scar on his inner left forearm running from wrist to elbow, the result of a suicide attempt. The cut may have marked the bones of his forearm. Bockmann has a muscular build.
Details of Disappearance
Bockmann was last seen while on a vacation trip to a resort in the Rocky Mountains in Boulder, Colorado. He bought flowers for a friend, and told he was going to ride his bicycle up Flagstaff Mountain. He has never been heard from again. The day after his disappearance, his silver Dodge Neon with Texas license plates was found abandoned at the South Boulder Creek Trailhead at Walker Ranch. Inside was his wallet, which contained $50 and Bockmann's identification. There were no signs of foul play.
Bockmann previously lived with his father in Texas and studied psychology at Tyler Junior College. He became severely depressed after war broke out in Iraq, and he was also distressed over his divorce and resulting separation from his three-year-old daughter. He had a hard time keeping a job and was upset that he was unable to support his child.
Three weeks before his disappearance, he moved to Colorado to be with his mother and brother. On April 15, three days before he was last seen, Bockmann had dinner with his brother and was reportedly "incoherent" at the time.
Bockmann's father and brother believe he took his own life, possibly by jumping off a cliff, and didn't want to his body be located. An extensive search of the mountains uncovered no signs of him or his remains. The terrain he disappeared in is steep, rocky and rugged, and inhabited by bears and mountain lions.
Bockmann is a graduate of Robert E. Lee High School. He is musically talented; he taught himself to play the guitar and enjoys writing songs as well. His case remains unsolved.
- Boulder Police Department 303-441-4328
Updated 4 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated June 17, 2011; distinguishing characteristics and clothing/jewelry description updated.