Robert Perry Bissell
Bissell, circa 2010
- Missing Since 07/12/2010
- Missing From Portland, Oregon
- Classification Lost/Injured Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Date of Birth 08/19/1952 (70)
- Age 57 years old
- Height and Weight 5'5, 135 - 150 pounds
- Associated Vehicle(s) White 1989 Nissan Sentra with Oregon license plates (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Gray hair, green eyes. Bissell has a full beard.
Details of Disappearance
Bissell was last seen on July 12, 2010, when he left his home in Portland, Oregon to go camping in the Roaring River Wilderness Area near Rock Lakes above Estacada, Oregon. His vehicle, a white 1989 Nissan Sentra with Oregon license plates, was found at Trailhead 700 near Rock Lakes.
Bissell apparently parked the car there, hiked five miles and set up camp off Trail 512 near Middle Rock Lake. It appears as if he left his campsite intending to be gone only for a day or less. He left his sleeping bag and gear at the site, taking only his fishing rod and tackle.
On July 19, Bissell's brother went to his campsite, but Bissell wasn't there. His brother left a note on his car, asking him to contact his family. His brother visited the campsite again on July 24 and again couldn't find Bissell. The authorities launched a search the next day.
An extensive search of Mount Hood National Forest turned up no indication of Bissell's whereabouts. The terrain is extremely rough, to the extent that three of the search horses threw their shoes. Bissell is presumed to have become lost or injured in the wilderness, probably shortly after he began his trip on July 12. His body has never been found.
- Clackamas County Sheriff's Office
Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated January 28, 2011; casefile added.