Roderick A. Shade
Shade, circa 2005
- Missing Since 09/11/2005
- Missing From Cayuga County, New York
- Classification Lost/Injured Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Date of Birth 02/12/1961 (62)
- Age 44 years old
- Height and Weight 6'4, 175 pounds
- Associated Vehicle(s) 25-foot Bayliner motorboat (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Black hair, brown eyes. Shade's nickname is Rod.
Details of Disappearance
Shade was last seen in Cayuga County, New York on September 11, 2005. He had gone on a fishing trip with his fiancee. She left to go to work, but Shade stayed behind to fish alone for one more day.
He launched his 25-foot Bayliner motorboat from Port Bay, near Wolcott, at 4:00 p.m. Shade talked with friends via marine radio at 8:00 p.m. that day. He has never been heard from again.
At 1:00 p.m. the next day, Shade's boat washed ashore, undamaged, at Moon Beach near Oswego, New York. The key was in the ignition, the throttle was open, the lights were on and fishing gear was set up, but there was no sign of Shade. An extensive search of the area turned up no sign of him.
Shade owned a drywall business in Waynesboro, Pennsylvania in 2005. Foul play is not suspected in his disappearance; authorities believe he accidentally drowned. He was declared legally dead in June 2008, but his body has never been recovered.
- New York State Police
- Wolcott Station
Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated June 22, 2008; casefile added.