Rogelio Realme Cerda
Rogelio, circa 1975; Age-progression to age 50 (circa 2009)
- Missing Since 06/29/1975
- Missing From Bay City, Texas
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Male
- Race Hispanic
- Date of Birth 12/24/1959 (63)
- Age 15 years old
- Height and Weight 5'9 - 5'10, 160 - 180 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description Cut-off jeans and a silver pinkie ring with the word "LOVE" on it.
- Medical Conditions Rogelio suffers from sinus problems that previously required hospitalization.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Hispanic male. Black hair, brown eyes. Rogelio has a scar on the bridge of his nose and a dark-colored birthmark on the back of his left ankle. His legal name Jesus Rogelio Realme Cerda, and his nicknames are Roger and Junior. Rogelio speaks Spanish as well as English.
Details of Disappearance
Rogelio lived with his parents and younger sister in the 3500 block of west Woodlawn Avenue in San Antonio, Texas at the time of his June 29, 1975 disappearance. He disappeared while on a fishing trip on with several people: his girlfriend, Betty Jean Witherspoon; his girlfriend's friend, Anna Marie Ayala; Anna's parents; her uncle; her boyfriend, Nick Diaz; and Nick's sister.
They had told Rogelio's parents they were going to Corpus Christi, Texas, but went to Bay City instead. Rogelio didn't tell his parents about the change in plans, which is uncharacteristic of his behavior.
Betty Jean and Anna stated they went swimming with Rogelio off Matagorda Beach, two miles from the mouth of the Colorado River, when they all got swept about 300 yards offshore and caught in an undertow. The girls were rescued, but Rogelio disappeared and an extensive search of the water turned up no sign of him.
Rogelio had completed his freshman year at Central Catholic High School before his disappearance, he had a full-time job at Amigos Food Co. and he was learning how to drive.
Authorities theorized he drowned and his body was swept out to sea, but his family never believed that. He was a good swimmer, and his mother and sister think he could have run away or possibly suffered an attack of amnesia, and may still be alive.
Rogelio's sister stated their father had a drinking problem and he and Rogelio had a poor relationship, and suggests this could be a reason why he might choose to run away. Their father took his own life a year and a half after Rogelio went missing.
His sister also stated he was seen in the local area after his disappearance by people who knew him. The family also got strange calls on many occasions after his disappearance; sometimes they heard music at the end of the line, and on other occasions it sounded like someone was trying to talk. His mother and sister believes the calls were from Rogelio.
Rogelio's case remains unsolved.
- Matagorda Sheriff's Office 409-245-5526
Updated 5 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated December 26, 2015; picture added.