Rosemary E. Hamilton Buck
Buck, circa 1973
- Missing Since 08/11/1973
- Missing From Syracuse, New York
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Date of Birth 07/02/1953 (69)
- Age 20 years old
- Height and Weight 5'2, 110 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A white coat and blue jeans.
- Medical Conditions Buck has previously been hospitalized for mental health issues, and she may have had an alcohol problem at the time of her disappearance.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, hazel eyes. Buck's nickname is Mary. Her two front teeth overlap slightly. She has a scar on her abdomen and a birthmark on her right leg.
Details of Disappearance
Buck was last seen in Syracuse, New York on August 11, 1973. She was hitchhiking at the corner of Sixth North Street and Wolf Street at noon, and may have ridden away on the back of someone's motorcycle. She lived in the 1100 block of Wolf Street.
Buck has never been heard from again. She left behind a two-year-old son, who was later legally adopted by his grandparents in Florida.
Buck frequented the now-defunct Yellow Balloon Bar on Thompson Road near Erie Boulevard east in 1973. She frequently traveled to attend rock concerts, and she told friends she planned to go to Boston, Massachusetts to meet an unknown male friend.
She was having personal problems at the time of her disappearance. She had mental problems and struggled with alcohol, and her husband was incarcerated for breaking and entering. She was worried that the state would take her son away from her. She had dropped out of high school at age 16, but planned to complete her education and start nurse's training.
Her loved ones initially theorized Buck ran away to avoid the difficulties in her life, but they now believe she could have met with foul play.
Buck's case remains unsolved. There has been no activity on her Social Security number since 1973.
- Syracuse Police Department 315-442-5330
Updated 6 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated May 7, 2019; distinguishing characteristics updated.