Ruth Annette Johnson Barber
Barber, circa 1984
- Missing Since 05/31/1984
- Missing From Gulfport, Mississippi
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Date of Birth 11/26/1948 (74)
- Age 35 years old
- Height and Weight 5'4 - 5'6, 150 - 165 pounds
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, green/hazel eyes. Barber bleached her hair at the time of her disappearance and as a result, her roots were darker than the rest of her hair. She has scars on her arms, legs and head from impetigo. Her ears are pierced.
Details of Disappearance
Barber left her job at the Bobbie Magees Club in Gulfport, Mississippi at approximately 1:30 p.m. on May 31, 1984 and got onto a cab with a female co-worker. She was very intoxicated at the time. The cab took them to the Holiday Inn on Highway 90 in Gulfport and Barber's co-worker got out and headed towards the hotel. When the cab driver tried to get Barber's attention, he realized she had passed out in the backseat.
The cab driver asked Barber's coworker what to do with her, and the coworker simply told him to do whatever he wanted. She left, and the cab driver tried to wake up Barber. She regained consciousness and said, "Where am I? I want to be with my baby." She got up, left the cab, and began walking towards the beach.
The cab driver drove away, then realized Barber had left her purse in his car. He went back to the Holiday Inn and found Barber's co-worker, who told him to turn the purse into the police. He did.
Barber has never been heard from again. Shortly before her disappearance she had been in California with a male companion who was wanted by the FBI for unspecified reasons. She and the man had traveled to Mississippi for Barber's daughter's birthday, and Barber took a job at the club there and decided to stay there with her daughter.
Barber's case remains unsolved. The circumstances surrounding her disappearance are unclear.
- Gulfport Police Department 228-868-5920
Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated November 15, 2006; picture added.