Sandra L. Spoon
Spoon, circa 2005; Edward G. Monroe; Monroe's 1981 Oldsmobile Omega
- Missing Since 08/28/2005
- Missing From Joplin, Missouri
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Date of Birth 07/22/1948 (74)
- Age 57 years old
- Height and Weight 5'5, 100 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A multicolored shirt and capri pants.
- Associated Vehicle(s) Brown four-door 1981 Oldsmobile Omega (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Spoon has previously fractured bones in her face. Her ears are double-pierced and she wears a full set of dentures.
Details of Disappearance
Spoon was last seen at 10:00 p.m. on August 28, 2005 in Joplin, Missouri. She left the home she shared with her sister and rode with a coworker to visit an acquaintance's home on Pearl Street. Edward G. Monroe, who lived on the upstairs floor of the residence, reportedly made advances to Spoon during the visit and she rejected them.
At 10:00 p.m., he offered her a ride home in his brown four-door 1981 Oldsmobile Omega. As he left, Monroe told another person present that he was going to spend the night with Spoon. He returned unexpectedly two to four hours later, however. Spoon never arrived home and has never been heard from again.
When questioned about her disappearance by police, Monroe said he had dropped Spoon off at the corner of 22nd and Byers, approximately one block from her residence. He said that during the intervening hours they had simply driven around in the vicinity of Pearl Street. A witness saw him walking out of a wooded area to his car near Shoal Creek.
Photographs of Monroe and his car are posted with this case summary. Investigators consider him a suspect in Spoon's case, but he died in August 2007 without ever being charged in connection with her disappearance.
Spoon worked as a nurse's aide at the Meadows Care Center in Joplin in 2005. She was reported missing two days after she was last seen. Her disappearance remains unsolved.
- Joplin Police Department 417-623-3131
Updated 5 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated September 8, 2008; details of disappearance updated.