Sapphire T. Wiggins
Wiggins, circa 2014; Kevin Shelton
- Missing Since 09/15/2014
- Missing From Atlantic City, New Jersey
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race Black
- Age 23 years old
- Height and Weight 5'1, 110 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A black shirt and black pants.
- Associated Vehicle(s) Blue 2002 Porsche 911 (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics African-American female. Black hair, brown eyes. Wiggins has the following tattoos: the name "Jamil" on her right cheek, the letter "K" or the name "Kevin" on her ring finger, a puzzle piece on her left wrist, the letter "S" with a heart on her right forearm, and a rose on her right thigh. She has a mole on the back of her neck. Her ears are pierced.
Details of Disappearance
Wiggins was last heard from when she spoke to her sister on the phone in Atlantic City, New Jersey on October 15, 2014. She left her vehicle behind at her home on north New York Avenue and has never been heard from again. She also left a six-year-old son. There was no evidence of a struggle inside her residence.
At the time of her disappearance, Wiggins was dating Kevin Shelton. They had been seeing each other for approximately six months and Wiggins said she wanted to marry him, but Shelton was already married and had two children by his wife of thirty years. It's unclear whether Wiggins was aware of this.
A photo of Shelton is posted with this case summary. Three days after Wiggins had last contact with her family, Shelton was founded hanged inside his estranged wife's home in Runnemede, New Jersey. His death was ruled a suicide.
On October 17, two days after Wiggins's disappearance and the day before his death, Shelton's blue 2002 Porsche 911 drove the Atlantic City Expressway to Exit 12 in Hamilton Township, then to Bridgeton and into Hopewell Township in Cumberland County. He then drove to Elk Township in Gloucester County before returning to Atlantic City.
At 10:39 a.m. the day of his death, Shelton called his son and said he was "in trouble" and "things got out of hand" and that he would be going to prison for ten to fifteen years. He drove a gold 2003 Ford Escape to the Vineland, New Jersey area before returning to Runnemede and taking his life. Blood from both Shelton and Wiggins was found inside Shelton's Porsche. He left a suicide note asking for God to have mercy on him. The note didn't mention Wiggins, and instead addressed Shelton's wife and children, saying he loved them.
Authorities believe Wiggins was the victim of foul play, possibly at Shelton's hands, and is deceased. They think her remains could have been disposed somewhere along on the routes Shelton took immediately before his death. He grew up in Hopewell Township and was thus very familiar with the area.
Wiggins had dreamed of becoming a police officer, but later spoke of a career in acting. Her family describes her as an outgoing woman. Her case remains unsolved.
- Atlantic City Police Department 609-347-5767
Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated February 19, 2021; picture added.