Shannon Clair LaBau
LaBau, circa 1999
- Missing Since 02/23/1999
- Missing From Helena, Montana
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Date of Birth 10/31/1975 (47)
- Age 23 years old
- Height and Weight 6'3, 240 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A light-colored t-shirt, a dark blue and white plaid flannel shirt and blue jeans.
- Associated Vehicle(s) Red 1976 Chevrolet truck with the Montana license plate number 5T31420
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Blond hair, blue eyes. LaBau wears contact lenses. He has an unfinished tattoo of a black dragon on his upper right arm, a faint one-inch vertical scar on his forehead between his eyes, and a mole on his neck. LaBau's left ear has previously been pierced.
Details of Disappearance
LaBau was last seen on February 23, 1999. He told his mother he was going to Townsend, Montana with a friend to look at a muscle car he was thinking of buying. He said he return to his Helena, Montana home later that day. He was carrying several thousand dollars in cash at the time. He has never been heard from again.
The last confirmed sighting of LaBau was at the bank in Helena, when he withdrew the money for his intended purchase. The friend he was with on the day of his disappearance has changed his story several times. Once he said he dropped him off near his apartment in downtown Helena; another time, the friend said LaBau got a ride to Butte, Montana.
Authorities have been unable to determine who owned the car LaBau wanted to buy; supposedly, the owner was a rancher.
LaBau had an appointment with an optometrist to renew his contact lens prescription. The appointment was set for after his disappearance; he did not arrive as scheduled. He also left money behind in his bank account and uncollected paychecks at his place of employment.
LaBau's red 1976 Chevrolet truck with the Montana license plate number 5T31420 apparently disappeared with him; it has not been recovered. The friend who was with him on the day of his disappearance reportedly changed his story several times.
Although police have found no evidence of foul play in his case, LaBau's family believes he may be deceased, as he left behind a baby daughter and it would be uncharacteristic of him to abandon her. He was close to his mother and also had a dog he adored.
LaBau graduated from Helena High School and worked as a cook at the time of his disappearance. His mother had him declared legally dead shortly before she died of cancer in 2007. His case remains unsolved.
- Helena Police Department 406-447-8461
Updated 4 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated October 12, 2015; distinguishing characteristics and clothing/jewelry description updated.