Shannon Joy Schell
Schell, circa 1994
- Missing Since 10/12/1994
- Missing From Pima County, Arizona
- Classification Lost/Injured Missing
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Age 34 years old
- Height and Weight 4'9, 85 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description Boots with flexible rubber soles.
- Medical Conditions Schell suffers from bronchitis. She was recovering from the flu at the time of her disappearance.
- Associated Vehicle(s) Camaro (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, hazel eyes.
Details of Disappearance
Schell was last seen in Pima County, Arizona on October 12, 1994. She planned to hike the Tanque Verde Ridge trail to Manning Camp in Saguaro National Monument East. It was a 32-mile round trip over very rough terrain, and she had tried it before and failed.
On the day of her disappearance, she parked her Camaro at the trailhead, locked her wallet, money and jewelry inside the trunk, and started the hike alone. She was carrying some snacks, a couple of water bottles, some extra clothing, cigarettes, lipstick and cough drops. She has never been heard from again.
Searchers found a fire ring six miles up the trail with footprints and some items that may hvae been Schell's, but they never found any trace of Schell herself. She is presumed to have gotten lost or injured on her hike and died in the wilderness.
Schell lived with her parents in Tucson, Arizona at the time of her disappearance; she had moved in with them after her divorce five years before. She worked at Jason's Deli on Broadway Boulevard. She is an experienced recreational hiker and had gotten lost before, once for two days. Her body has never been found.
- Pima County Sheriff's Office 520-351-4900
Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated August 20, 2010; casefile added.