Shantina Marie Smiley
Smiley, circa 2010; Azriel Carver; Smiley on the night of her disappearance
- Missing Since 03/13/2010
- Missing From Olympia, Washington
- Classification Lost/Injured Missing
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Date of Birth 05/06/1980 (43)
- Age 29 years old
- Height and Weight 5'9, 144 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description Jeans and a red or pink hooded sweatshirt with a kangaroo pocket and the numbers 4 and 7 in white on the front. A photo of Smiley in those clothes is posted below this case summary.
- Medical Conditions Smiley is an alcoholic. She had been in recovery for years prior to her disappearance, but had recently relapsed. She was also taking prescription medication for anxiety.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Smiley's nickname is Kat. She has numerous tattoos, including a pair of lightning bolts on her back, a tattoo on her neck and a tattoo on her wrist. She wears eyeglasses and her ears are pierced.
Details of Disappearance
Smiley disappeared with her eight-year-old son, Azriel Carver. A photo of Azriel is posted below this case summary. They were last seen in Olympia, Washington on March 13, 2010, en route from Silverdale to Castle Rock, Washington to visit relatives.
They became lost on the way and Smiley stopped at a private house at 10:00 p.m. to ask for directions and use the phone. This was the last time anyone saw or heard from them. They never arrived in Castle Rock.
On March 14, Smiley's van was found partially submerged in water on a remote beach on the Puget Sound, north of Olympia. The vehicle's doors were open and her wallet, credit cards, identification and keys were inside it, but her purse was missing. Some items belonging to Smiley and Azriel washed onshore in the same vicinity over the next few days.
On March 18, Azriel's body washed up on the beach at the south end of Fox Island near Gig Harbor, Washington, sixteen nautical miles from where the van had been. His death was ruled an accidental drowning.
Azriel was a second-grader at Vinland Elementary School at the time of his death. Smiley had recently graduated from Olympic College and planned to become a medical billing specialist. She was engaged to be married and was looking forward to a new life with her fiance.
She had faced several challenges prior to her disappearance; she had been in trouble with the law and was investigated several times by child protection services because of her alcohol abuse problem.
Twice, Smiley voluntarily gave her son over to the care of relatives while she went through alcohol treatment. However, her loved ones describe her as a devoted mother and stated she had gotten her life together by the time of her disappearance and was stable and happy. Investigators believe she probably drowned.
- Thurston County Sheriff’s Office 360-786-5534
Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated November 1, 2010; casefile added.