Sharon, circa 2001
- Missing Since 12/09/2001
- Missing From Perinton, New York
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Date of Birth 02/10/1966 (57)
- Age 35 years old
- Height and Weight 5'4, 110 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A white sweatshirt with "Cape Cod" imprinted on the front, jeans, a long jean jacket and sneakers.
- Associated Vehicle(s) Red/maroon 1992 Dodge Caravan with wood grain panels and the New York license plate number U457WP (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Sharon had three temporary caps or dentures installed in place of her upper four front teeth in December 2001 as the result of an accident. Her ears are pierced.
Details of Disappearance
Sharon resided on Nettle Creek Road in Perinton, New York with her three children in 2001. She was estranged from her husband, Alan Shechter, and was in the midst of a difficult divorce.
Sharon received an order of protection against him in 2000. Alan was charged with criminal contempt after violating the order in October 2000. He grabbed Sharon in front of her home at the time of the incident. The charges were scheduled to be dismissed in March 2002, provided Alan did not receive additional criminal complaints.
Sharon phoned her mother at approximately 12:00 p.m. on December 9, 2001. She said that she planned to pick up her children from Alan's residence later that afternoon.
Sharon finished some holiday shopping and had dinner at a restaurant in Macedon, New York with her friend Mike Pieramico. Pieramico last saw Sharon as he exited her driveway at approximately 5:00 p.m. She walked inside of her residence to activate the holiday lights. Sharon has never been heard from again.
Sharon's loved ones became concerned when they were unable to contact her over the weekend of her disappearance. She was reported as a missing person on December 10, when she failed to arrive at the Ide Group for her scheduled work shift.
Alan told authorities that Sharon asked him to keep their children at his home in Chili, New York over the weekend. He said that he dropped them off at school during the morning of December 10 at his estranged wife's request.
Sharon's red/maroon 1992 Dodge Caravan with wood grain panels and the New York license plate number U457WP was discovered abandoned later on December 12. The vehicle was located in the parking lot of the Days Inn motel in the 1200 block of Chili Avenue in Gates, New York.
Blood was discovered inside it. Authorities have not announced publicly whether the blood was determined to be Sharon's. She did not register as a guest at the motel and no one remembers seeing her inside the building.
Authorities are looking for a 5'7 tall Jamaican male with scars om his left arm and cheek in connection with Sharon's case. The individual is not considered a suspect in her disappearance, but he may be armed and dangerous. Investigators stated that Sharon's disappearance was considered suspicious. Her case remains unsolved.
Sharon is a native of Rochester, New York. Her mother said that she enjoyed craft projects with her children in 2001.
- Monroe County Sheriff's Office 585-428-5310
Updated 3 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated January 14, 2007; picture added.