Shaun Robert Eckert
Shaun, circa 2005
- Missing Since 04/14/2005
- Missing From Indian River County, Florida
- Classification Lost/Injured Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Date of Birth 04/29/1964 (59)
- Age 40 years old
- Height and Weight 5'10, 165 pounds
- Associated Vehicle(s) 22-foot fishing boat (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Blond hair, blue eyes.
Details of Disappearance
Shaun and his brothers, Michael Eckert and Jay Alva Eckert, went on a fishing trip ten to fifteen miles off the coast of Indian River County, Florida on April 14, 2005. They were five to seven miles southeast of Sebastian Inlet when, that evening, their 22-foot fishing boat took on water and sank. Michael used his cellular phone to call 911 at 6:00 p.m., but the phone's battery died before he could give his location.
At 8:30 a.m. the next day, Michael was found alive and adrift off North Hutchinson Island, and a tourist took him to shore. He said after the boat sank, he found a life jacket in the water and held onto it, and Shaun and Jay clung to a cooler. There was no sign of either of Michael's brothers and they were never located.
The Eckert brothers are presumed lost at sea. Photos of Jay are unavailable. His date of birth is April 28, 1958, making him 46 years old at the time of his disappearance. He's described as Caucasian, 6'0 tall and 185 pounds, with brown hair and hazel eyes.
- Indian River County Sheriff's Office 772-978-6110
Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated June 20, 2019; casefile added.